posted by Kalyn Denny on July 3, 2020
Thinly-sliced contemporary basil added on the finish makes this Green Bean and Tomato Salad such a pleasant summer time deal with!
PIN Green Bean and Tomato Salad to make it later!
Watch the video to see in case you’d prefer to make
Green Bean, Tomato, Onion, and Basil Summer Salad!
It’s an enormous vacation weekend within the U.S. though this yr the Fourth of July is more likely to be principally stay-at-home celebrations. But to encourage you to make some particular meals for the vacation I’m reminding you about this Green Bean and Tomato Salad for my Friday Favorites choose!
Years in the past I found these great skinny French inexperienced beans at Costco, and even after I began rising my very own inexperienced beans I’d nonetheless purchase the Costco ones after I had a yearning for inexperienced beans. This superb salad was so scrumptious made with these Costco beans, and it’s one of many purpose inexperienced beans present up often on my procuring listing.
Three issues bumped this salad up into WOW standing for me: the usage of slivers of candy onion for a lift of taste, the thinly sliced contemporary basil added on the finish, and a really flavorful dressing with lemon, garlic, and dried oregano. But significantly I really like completely every little thing about this salad! If you want inexperienced beans in any respect (and particularly in case you’re rising inexperienced beans and in search of methods to make use of them), this salad is a must-make! And it would positively be a festive addition to your Fourth of July menu for individuals who are celebrating; take pleasure in!
How to Make Green Bean and Tomato Salad:
(Scroll down for full recipe with dietary info.)
- I like contemporary beans greatest after they nonetheless have a little bit of crunch, so we steamed the beans for this recipe for almost 5 minutes.
- Then we instantly put them in ice water to maintain them crisp.
- Drain the beans very properly.
- Cut up the cherry tomatoes, and minimize the candy onion into slivers. (We used Vidalia onions, however any kind of candy onion shall be good.)
- Whisk collectively the olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, dried oregano, and a bit of salt to make the tasty dressing.
- Wash basil leaves, spin dry in a salad spinner (affiliate hyperlink) or dry with paper towels and then minimize into skinny strips. I used my beloved Herb Scissors (affiliate hyperlink) to chop the basil.
- Toss collectively the beans, tomatoes, and onions, then toss with dressing and gently stir within the sliced basil.
- Season the salad with salt and a bit of contemporary floor pepper as desired and serve.
Make it a Meal:
Something like Low-Carb or Keto Beef Cooked on the Grill or Low-Carb Kabobs can be scrumptious with this salad for a low-carb meal.
More Amazing Salads for Summer:
Summer Tomato Salad with Goat Cheese, Basil Vinaigrette, and Herbs ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Easy Summer Salad with Blueberries ~ Family Food on the Table
Easy Summer Lunch Salad ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Thai Summer Salad ~ Recipe Girl
Green Bean, Tomato, and Feta Salad Oreganato ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Summer Strawberry Salad with Grilled Chicken ~ The Noshery
Want More Summer Tomato Salads?
Check out Ten Favorite Summer Tomato Salads (plus Honorable Mentions) for extra superb salad concepts for summer time tomatoes!
- 1 lb. skinny French-style inexperienced beans (see notes)
- half small candy onion, minimize into skinny slivers (see notes)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, minimize in half
- beneficiant quantity thinly-sliced contemporary basil (see notes)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to style
- Three T extra-virgin olive oil (see notes)
- 2 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice (see notes)
- 2 tsp. finely minced contemporary garlic
- half tsp. dried oregano
- half tsp. sea salt
- Start water boiling in a vegetable steamer or pot with a steaming rack (affiliate hyperlink) when you trim the beans on each ends and minimize them into items about 2 inches lengthy.
- (I do that by gathering a handful of beans which might be standing up straight and letting them fall down on to the chopping board, so the ends are even. Trim that finish and then flip them over and do the identical factor with the opposite finish.)
- When the water begins to boil, steam beans for five minutes, then drain and instantly put them in a bowl of ice water. (Some beans are harder than others, so I’d take a look at one for doneness after 5 minutes to see what you suppose.)
- Let beans cool within the ice water about one minute, then drain instantly right into a colander positioned within the sink.
- While beans are cooking, minimize cherry tomatoes into halves and minimize the onion into skinny slivers.
- When beans are draining, whisk collectively the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and salt to make the dressing.
- Wash contemporary basil leaves and spin dry in a salad spinner (affiliate hyperlink) or dry with paper towels, then minimize the basil into skinny strips. (I used my beloved Herb Scissors to chop the basil.)
- Remove drained beans from the colander right into a bowl massive sufficient to toss components collectively.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and onions and toss components collectively.
- Toss with desired quantity of dressing and then gently combine within the sliced basil.
- Season salad to style with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve.
We used Vidalia onion for this recipe. I used my fresh-frozen lemon juice for this recipe. Any contemporary backyard inexperienced beans can be utilized. We used about 1/Three cup sliced basil, however subsequent time I’d use extra if I had loads of basil within the backyard. Use an olive oil with good taste for this.
This is greatest when it’s freshly made, however it wasn’t dangerous in any respect when it had been within the fridge in a single day.
This recipe impressed by a inexperienced bean salad in Eating Well Vegetables (affiliate hyperlink).
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 108Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 297mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 2g
Nutrition info is robotically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This salad will not be solely South Beach Diet Phase One and low in carbs, however it’s additionally gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, Paleo, and Whole 30. I’d say that makes this a scrumptious wholesome salad for any kind of weight loss plan, wouldn’t you agree?
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Salads Index to seek out extra recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photograph index pages to seek out extra recipes appropriate for a selected consuming plan. You may additionally prefer to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the nice recipes I’m sharing there.