posted by Kalyn Denny on March 11, 2020
I like these Green Chile Shredded Beef Cabbage Bowls and you can also make the inexperienced chile beef within the gradual cooker or the Instant Pot! Family members who aren’t cabbage followers can eat the spicy beef inside low-carb tortillas if they like.
PIN Green Chile Shredded Beef Cabbage Bowl to make it later!
If you look within the Cabbage Archives on Kalyn’s Kitchen, it’s not laborious to see that I’m an enormous cabbage fan! And since March is the month when cabbage goes on sale for St. Patrick’s Day, it looks as if the right time to function this favourite low-carb Green Chile Shredded Beef Cabbage Bowl.
I first made the meat for this recipe within the gradual cooker, in order that’s the tactic you’ll see in these photographs. But I’m updating the recipe with directions for the Instant Pot as nicely, as a result of the inexperienced chile shredded beef can simply be made utilizing the Instant Pot for those who add a bit extra liquid. And for those who’re a fan of shredded beef within the strain cooker, try my recipe for Pressure Cooker Low-Carb Flank Steak Tacos with Spicy Mexican Slaw.
I actually liked these bowls with inexperienced chile beef and cabbage, and I believed the meat was simply spicy sufficient to be attention-grabbing. The shredded beef can be one thing that could possibly be served in low-carb tortillas or over cauliflower rice for individuals who aren’t cabbage followers. The recipe does have some carbs, however bear in mind the dietary data is for the entire meal. And I suppose the avocado salsa is non-compulsory if you would like barely much less carbs, however I’d by no means skip it myself; the tasty avocado salsa actually makes this a wow!
How to Make Green Chile Shredded Beef Cabbage Bowl:
(Scroll down for full printable recipe together with dietary data.)
- I began with a Three pound chuck roast, then trimmed the fats till it was simply over 2 kilos of lean meat.
- Rub the items of meat with Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning (or your favourite Southwestern spice mix.)
- Then warmth just a little olive oil and brown the meat nicely on all sides. (Don’t skip this step; the browning provides a whole lot of taste.)
- Put the meat right into a small gradual cooker with 2 cans diced inexperienced chiles and the juice.
- I used my Crock-Pot 3-1/2-Quart Slow Cooker (affliate hyperlink) for this recipe. It could possibly be just a little smaller however I wouldn’t use a much bigger one except you double the recipe.
- You also can make this within the Instant Pot (affliate hyperlink); see the recipe under for these directions.
- Cook on excessive for 3-5 hours, or till the meat shreds aside simply. (You’ll be shocked how a lot liquid there’s.)
- Use a slotted spoon to take away the meat from the gradual cooker and shred aside. (Keep the juice within the gradual cooker.)
- Then put the shredded meat again within the gradual cooker to soak up the liquid and keep heat when you make the cabbage slaw and salsa.
- We used a Mandoline Slicer (affliate hyperlink) with the 1.5 mm blade to make actually thinly sliced cabbage, however you can even lower it by hand.
- Toss the inexperienced cabbage, purple cabbage, and inexperienced onions with the mayo-lime dressing that features Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate hyperlink).
- To make the salsa, toss avocado and diced poblano pepper with lime, olive oil, and chopped cilantro.
- Layer cabbage slaw, inexperienced chile beef, and avocado salsa into particular person bowls and serve.
More Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Beef Recipes:
Pressure Cooker Corned Beef with Creamy Horseradish Sauce ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Pressure Cooker Beef and Broccoli ~ Pressure Cooking Today
Instant Pot Low-Carb All-Beef Ancho and Anaheim Chili ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs ~ That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Low-Carb Slow Cooker Mushroom Lover’s Pot Roast ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a brand new class known as Weekend Food Prep that will help you discover recipes you possibly can prep or prepare dinner on the weekend and eat through the week!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Beef:
- about Three lb. beef chuck roast (see notes)
- 1 T Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning (see notes, or use your favourite Southwestern spice mix)
- 2 tsp. olive oil (relying in your pan)
- 2 cans (Four oz. can) diced inexperienced chiles with juice
- (See instructions under for extra beef inventory for Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot model)
Ingredients for Cabbage Slaw and Dressing:
- 1 small head inexperienced cabbage
- 1/2 small head purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced inexperienced onion
- 6 T mayo
- Four tsp. recent squeezed lime juice (see notes)
- 2 tsp. (or extra) Green Tabasco Sauce
Ingredients for the Avocado Salsa:
- 2 massive avocados, diced
- 1 medium Poblano (Pasilla) pepper, diced very small
- 1 T fresh-squeezed lime juice (I exploit my fresh-frozen lime juice)
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro (or use thinly-sliced inexperienced onion for those who’re not a cilantro individual)
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Trim all seen fats and any undesirable elements from the chuck roast and lower into thick strips. (I save all these scraps to make selfmade beef inventory.)
- Rub strips of beef with the taco seasoning. Heat the oil in a big, heavy frying pan and brown the meat nicely on all sides. (Don’t skip this step; the browning provides a whole lot of taste.)
- Put the strips of browned beef within the gradual cooker and pour within the diced inexperienced chiles and juice from the cans.
- Cook on excessive for 3-Four hours, or till the meat shreds aside simply. (If you’re going to be out you can even prepare dinner this for 6-Eight hours on low.)
- When the meat is completed, use a big slotted spoon to take away it to a reducing board, leaving the liquid within the gradual cooker. Shred the meat aside with two forks and put it again within the gradual cooker to soak up the liquid and preserve heat when you make the cabbage slaw and salsa.
- Cut the cabbage into very skinny strips. We used a Mandoline Slicer (affiliate hyperlink) with the 1.5 mm blade to make really thin slices, but you can also cut it by hand.) Slice the green onions.
- Whisk together the mayo, lime juice, and Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) to make the dressing. (Taste to see if you want more lime or Green Tabasco and adjust to taste.) Then put the cabbage and green onions into a bowl and toss with the dressing.
- Peel and cut up the avocado, place in a bowl, and toss with the lime juice. Finely chop the cilantro (or green onion) and the Poblano chile and add it to the avocado. Drizzle in the olive oil and gently toss again.
- To assemble the bowl, put a layer of the slaw, then a generous amount of the spicy beef, topped by a couple of spoonfuls of the avocado salsa. I served this with extra Green Tabasco for those who wanted a little more heat.
- If this makes more than you’ll eat at one time I would only dress the amount of cabbage you’ll be using. Refrigerate the ingredients individually and then warm the beef and toss the cabbage with the dressing when you want to eat the leftovers.
Start with a chuck roast that’s close to 3 pounds, then trim fat and any unwanted parts. I use Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning for this recipe. Be sure to choose a brand without sugar if you’re using purchased taco seasoning. I use my fresh-frozen lime juice.
Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker Directions:
- Use the ingredients as above for slow cooker version, but you will need an additional 3/4 cup beef stock for cooking in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
- Brown meat as above, or brown in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
- Put the strips of browned beef in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker and pour in the diced green chiles with juice from the cans and 3/4 cup beef stock.
- Lock the lid, set to MANUAL, HIGH PRESSURE, and set time for 45 minutes.
- When the time is finished, use NATURAL RELEASE for 15 minutes, then use quick release method to release the rest of the pressure.
- Make cabbage slaw, dressing, and avocado salsa as above to finish the recipe.
- Remove beef to a cutting board to shred, then put it back into the pressure cooker to absorb the liquid. (You can use the simmer or saute setting on the pressure cooker to reduce some of the liquid if you think there will be too much.)
- Assemble bowls as above.
This recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 825Total Fat: 59gSaturated Fat: 18gUnsaturated Fat: 37gCholesterol: 194mgSodium: 451mgCarbohydrates: 16.6gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 59g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Green Chile Shredded Beef Cabbage Bowl would be approved for any phase of the South Beach Diet or any other low-carb eating plan. It can also be Paleo if you use approved mayo.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Bowl Meals to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.