Easy Hot Cross Buns utilizing this simple dough from my Bagel Recipe. No yeast, no boiling, no fancy mixer. Bake them within the oven or within the air-fryer!
Hot Cross Buns
Serve them Easter morning with some laborious boiled eggs and fruit! More candy brunch additions I really like are No-bake Strawberries and Cream Crepe Cake, Honey lemon Bars, and Chocolate Drizzled Coconut Macaroons.
Confession, I’ve by no means had a sizzling cross bun, though I did play it on my recorder in grade faculty! But I checked out a number of recipes and observed the dough was fairly just like my bagel dough, with the addition of raisins, cinnamon and a glaze on high. I examined them out retaining the sugar on the lighter aspect, because the glaze on high provides extra sweetness and we liked them. I suppose you possibly can name them bagel cross buns, if you want!
How To Make Easy Hot Cross Buns
Tips for good sizzling cross buns:
- Use a silpat or parchment paper sprayed with oil to forestall them from sticking to the baking sheet.
- Bake them on the highest rack so that they don’t brown an excessive amount of on the underside.
- Greek yogurt as an alternative of plain is a should, if there’s any liquid within the yogurt you should definitely drain it. I examined with Fage and Stonyfield Greek, each labored nice. Chobani has been giving folks sticky dough, so I’d avoid that model for this recipe.
- If your dough is sticky add extra flour or use much less yogurt.
- You can simply double or triple this recipe to make extra. You may half or quarter it to make much less.
- To make them with self rising flour omit the salt and baking powder.
Tips for dairy-free sizzling cross buns:
I examined this dairy-free a couple of alternative ways with success.
- You can use a thick dairy-free Greek yogurt, Kite Hill (blue label) was the model I discovered and examined. This yogurt is just not 0 Freestyle Points.
- Use water as an alternative of milk for the glaze.
Hot Cross Buns
- 1 cup 5 ozunbleached all goal flour, entire wheat or gluten-free combine*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder, ensure that it’s not expired or it gained’t rise
- 2 tablespoons uncooked sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- half teaspoon kosher salt, use much less if utilizing desk salt
- 1 cup 0% Greek yogurt, not common yogurt, it will likely be too sticky
- 3 tablespoon raisins
- 1 egg white, overwhelmed (entire egg works effective too)
Icing (solely half will get used)*:
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk or water
Preheat oven to 375F.
Place parchment paper or a silpat on a baking sheet. If utilizing parchment paper, spray with oil to keep away from sticking.
In a medium bowl mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt and whisk nicely.
Add the yogurt and raisins, combine with a fork or spatula till nicely mixed, it’ll seem like small crumbles.
Lightly mud flour on a piece floor and take away dough from the bowl, knead the dough a couple of instances till dough is cheesy, however not sticky, about 10 to 15 turns (it mustn’t depart dough in your hand while you draw back).
Divide into Eight equal balls. Place on the ready baking sheet.
Top with egg wash. Bake on the highest rack of the oven for 25 minutes. Let cool not less than 30 minutes earlier than icing.
Air Fryer Method:
Preheat the air fryer 325F levels and set for 11 to 12 minutes.
Transfer in batches with out overcrowding and bake 11 to 12 minutes, or till golden. No want to show.
Let cool not less than 30 minutes earlier than icing.
*Since solely half will get used on high, I deducted half of the sugar from the evaluation.
Serving: 2buns, Calories: 230kcal, Carbohydrates: 46g, Protein: 10.5g, Fat: 0.5g, Sodium: 426mg, Fiber: 1.5g, Sugar: 16.5g
Blue Smart Points: 7
Green Smart Points: 8
Purple Smart Points: 7
Points +: 5
Keywords: Air fryer dessert recipes, Easy Hot Cross Buns, Healthy Hot Cross Buns, Hot Cross Buns, Hot Cross Buns Recipe